Thursday, January 19, 2012

The (nap) Times They Are A-Changin'

I thrive on routine & predictability with B&H. I worked really hard from the beginning to figure when they needed/wanted to eat, sleep, play, etc. I tracked their sleeping patterns and figured out a great napping schedule, beginning when they were about 4-5 months old. That schedule has been my life saver for the past 8 or 9 months. Of course there's been tweaks here and there, but for the most part, B&H have been morning and afternoon nappers since last spring. I love it. It gives us *just* enough time to go somewhere when they are awake, and when we get home it's down for a nap they go and I can do whatever I want or need to do. It's the best.

Except for lately.

B&H are almost 14 months old. They're toddling. They're "talking." They're starting to give up their two-nap schedule. It bums me out!

So, like a new mother to newborns, I have got to figure them out all over again. When do they need or want to nap? How long will it be? When will we eat lunch? Will we be able to go anywhere, or will they fall asleep in the car and then not nap at all later? (possibly, the WORST thing that could happen!) Will they still go to bed at the same time? It's all very frustrating to me - the not knowing part!

We're still *trying* for 2 naps, but those days are numbered. I know for sure this time next week, we'll be fervently working on one nap. I just want to relish one more week, for I know the transition will throw everyone for a loop. They'll probably be crabby. I'll probably be crabby. Daddy'll probably be crabby. See a theme here?

My biggest fear is they will get overtired and then won't be able to sleep. I mean, who wants that? I love them, dearly and no matter what. But part of me really does love them a bit more when they look like this:


rather than when they look like this:


Wish us luck! How did you transition your kid(s) to one nap?

1 comment:

  1. All true and very relatable sentiments, Tracy! I have always applauded you for your great dedication to their schedule. You have done a great job!

    I'm guessing that you no longer use Trixie Tracker. If not, maybe consider rebooting it for the next month during the time of transition. It may help you answer the questions you were asking yourself up there in paragraph 4.

    My experience with Will was that moving to 1 nap a day did not dramatically affect his bedtime. It may be slightly earlier during adjustment, while they learn to go longer stretches after nap.

    ReplyDelete